Thursday, July 2, 2009

Richland to Baker City, OR

I love this Cycle Oregon bike rack
yay- more hills!

that's right, even more hills
Our campsite in Richland

We spent last night in Richland, OR, at the nicest camp site we have been to yet (another point for Oregon). They had the cleanest showers & cheap laundry, and to top it off when our high quality mattress pump decided not to work, a nice older man from an RV came over and helped us pump it up with his incredibly loud air compressor (pretty sure we woke up the entire campground). 
Since we were only planning on a shorter mileage day, we got a later start (plus the grocery store didn't open until 8 am anyways- honestly I'm done with touring small towns for awhile). Unfortunately we did not plan for lots more hills and headwinds. There was actually a point during the day when we were descending a 6 or 7% downgrade (which should equate to really high speeds) and the wind had us at a dead stop. I was so irritated- I should not have to pedal to go down a huge hill!!! It was all I could do not to throw a child-like tantrum while kicking the crap out of my trailer (which I blame for all problems on this trip- it's my scape goat). 
Luckily, when we got to Baker City we got some great news. Our good family friends, Pat & Lynn are coming the next day to ride with us & sag our gear. Yay!

1 comment:

Robica said...

those hills even look hard. no thanks. i like the action shots. they aren't staged are they? jk!!